The feeling of coming to your senses


24 "For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate."




Standing at the pulpit, fulfilling a promise to Darius’ younger brother, Dechaun, I looked over the vast audience in attendance of Darius’ funeral. Prior to reciting the spoken-word piece, I had very little interaction with anyone fearing I would break down the dam I had built in anticipation of performing in front of a crowd during this grieving moment.

As a social worker I’ve comforted people in moments leading up to these. I’ve provided reassurance and steadfast empathy with accomplishing a goal.   

These are the moments where we need people to remind us of who we are.

One of those few interactions was with an older cousin of mine, Kim. I remember Kim as being mean, not mean or scary as Karen, but mean enough. She looked at me before the funeral began, as the crowds were gathering and said, “John-John, go get some chairs from downstairs.”

I had a flashback of the little boy wanting to retort with a harsh rebuttal. I looked her squarely in the eyes and replied, “Okay.”

I went to go get the folding chairs from the basement and brought them up four by four until they were no longer needed. I was sweating by then. My black suit still pressed from the cleaners, but my neck was damp.

I stayed away from Kim after that.

In fact, for the remainder of the time until I was called up, I had minimal interaction with family members, except for my great-grandfather summoning me to the pulpit just before the beginning of the wake.   

I had other still frames of memories flicker from being a kid in that church. Some were good and others made me cringe. Each recollection had cousins attached to them.

But still I kept my distance.

As the time grew near to take to the pulpit, I grew out of earshot of the microphone. For the second time I had been summoned.

Mixed emotions rose near the banks of where my emotional levees had been built. I questioned my ability for a second. I looked to the left of me, and I saw reassurance staring back. I saw a sense of pride that I’ve longed for when I thought that I had lost the right to be forgiven.

I saw my father.

While this moment may not seem like much to some. To me I felt like a prodigal son, a play which my stepmother had reminded me of later on, as we gathered things to leave.

During the repast, Kim approached me and said, “I’m sorry for calling you John-John. You have grown so much and you resemble so much of your father.”

“I don’t mind you calling me John-John,” I answered.


“I am my father’s son,” I thought to myself.

Comments