J Minus Just May Have Right Equation (New music Thursday)

Banner Courtesy of myspace.com/jminus

J Minus, I thought it to be a stupid name, from a stupid group of guys out in the backwoods of Oregon experimenting with a washboard and a harmonica. 

Man, was I sadly mistaken. Actually it turned out to be one of the lighter moments of the day.

Rarely do I take the time to spotlight musicians who aren’t blues artists and it’s not that I don’t like other music, but time seems to be my worst enemy when trying to get out and explore other genres.

Something happened today while going through the usual Myspace routine of checking messages and accepting or rejecting friend requests. A group from Seattle, Washington sent me a friend request. With my curiosity already peaked by the group’s name, J Minus, I clicked on link to their page. Already laughing from the picture of two guys dressed in awkward attire I needed to satisfy my urge to laugh out loud. One of the guys wore a Hugh Hefner-like robe and the other guy dressed in a Hawaiian-style, flowered short-sleeved button-down shirt. They were captured jumping in mid-air, strumming miniature toy guitars. It looked stupid. In fact the message attached to the friend request read, “We don’t sound as stupid as we look.”

They were right. With more than just a coffee-shop melody and visions beyond bookstore gigs this group of 5 guys seems to make all of their separate, musical ambitions work. Original tunes from songwriter and producer Dylan Fant hopes to forge a “musical entity”. Their vibe can be described as indie rock with a calmer tone walking on an alternative edge. Songs from their 2006 release Sun & Moon, a double album, display versatility worthy of praise. “Runaround” and “Contagious” remain melodic bringing thoughts of a summertime cross-country drive with the windows down in a group sing along. The acoustic sound of the band finds the equilibrium between the music and the vocals. While their acoustic Myspace page definitely shows the wild side of the band their “official” page shows 5 guys that mean business. Both pages show the harmony of hard work and fun. Whatever is stopping them from becoming a mainstream contender is just a matter of seasonal changes. They are definitely worth the listen. Their passion and genuine appreciation for music comes across in the form of polished chops, guitar licks and well-trained vocals.

So, in short an old cliché almost came to mind after this ordeal, but then I settled for the idea of living without regrets while exploring all that life has to offer. I couldn’t pass on this opportunity to review J Minus and add them to my ever-expanding set of clips. 

For more information on J Minus visit myspace.com/jminus or jminus.com.

Music gives me the inspiration to write and writing provides me the motivation to dream-John W. Fountain, III

Comments