It’s not a religious crisis, but a spiritual evolution


I remember getting up going church on Sunday mornings because I was forced to as a kid.

“You don’t question God,” old folks would scold.

“The Bible is the Word of God,” they said.

Scripture after scripture instilled fear of a fiery lake where bad souls went after judgment.

“Jesus is the way; the truth and light…”

They also told me Santa Claus was real.

I’m 39 with a Master’s degree in social work and an insight into the human condition as it reacts to repeated traumas both vicarious and post. This is relevant to point out because I no longer think as a child. I use critical analysis to formulate informed comments within context.

We all have our own journeys. We get to conform to the conventional ideals that we were taught or we get to challenge those old notions and forge a new path of our own.

I learned the history of the African continent and its historical exploitation by Britain, India and 
China long before the misfits of the American colonies got into the slave trade.

I learned of the historical world-wide contributions of Moors.

Slaves brought to America were only allowed to The Bible under the supervision of one of the slave master’s.  

This was their education.

They passed this down to their offspring.

The black church certainly has impacted social justice movements and made attempts in strides towards equality.

But this is where it ends for me.

Between the prosperity preaching and preachers taking a passive-aggressive stance on violence and lackluster black politicians I’m forced to question their purpose in black communities.

Why is it that a South Side Catholic white Priest is seen as the champion of Social Justice for black poor people in a black neighborhood?

I theorize a Jesus complex—a white man is the only credible savior for the uncivilized.

This lingering effect of slavery has sprouted blocks of storefront churches littering Austin like Grant Park after Lallapolooza.

They serve no real purpose like lifelong politicians selling empty bags of hope, but little change.

There is a man named Jesus, who died for the whole world and saves souls. Yet his representatives committed atrocities in his very name.

The descendants of the victims were used to build a nation’s wealth.

This guy is supposed to be my one true savior?

Yeah, OK! (Kanye shrug)

Why don’t some of these churches double as shelters during Chicago winters?  And please do not use the excuse of not having money when you proudly claim the 501c3 status and those special building funds where the building has yet to manifest could be allocated as well.

Hard working poor folk that give tithes at the cost of bills, food and medicine are the ones left to endure a hell while praying that a white man answers prayers.

It’s religious prostitution or “pimpin” out the people.

I wonder if the blood of my ancestors killed by white missionaries conquering Africa works as well as the blood of Christ.

I’m evolving from the traditional religion passed from slave master to slave and to slave descendants.

Choice is the most beautiful part of this journey.

I’m embracing the philosophies of the eastern world like meditation, mindfulness and viewing tribulations as lessons to be learned; nothing is good or bad. Detachment is also one if these elements.  
I’m even a novice yogi. The pains in my muscles tell me I have a long way to go.

I’m up for the challenge to become a better version of me.

I couldn’t question God. I couldn’t ask why as a child.

Those questions led me on the pursuit of my own journey.
Om Symbol

Allow your own questions to lead you on your own spiritual travels.


Namasté.