The Week End Page Turner



After talking to Guy King, a musician, I realized my week's lesson. I learned that I have to continue to believe in my dream even when I feel like I am not getting my just recognition. "You have to believe in what you do," King told me. "Nothing is promised. All you can control is being the best at your craft."

It is easy to get frustrated when you feel like you have poured your heart and soul into your passion and no one is listening or reading. It is much like King, at this very moment, performing at Buddy Guy's during lunch to five people in a 400-capacity venue or when all of the work and frustration I put into the current issue of the Bluesletter and people just comment on the cover. It drains every bit of my energy to do what I love. At times it seems hopeless and I wonder why I care so much. But I remember that without it I don't know where I would be. I see signs of progress and a payoff in the form of The Academy for Alternative Journalism fellowship this summer. But the looming frustration still seems inescapable. I also remember that I have already come so far by grace and faith. I have to believe that they will also propel me even farther into my dreams.

"Nothing is promised, man," King says. "I am telling you this because I have dealt with it and still deal with it."
"I have been feeling so frustrated," I reply.
"I have seen it. That's why I am telling you. Just keep writing and things will happpen."

Yeah, I hope so.

Comments